Jeffrey S. Horton Thomas, Esq.
With more than 25 years of experience as an employment law litigator and counselor in Southern California, Jeffrey’s expertise and success have earned him third-party recognition including:
- Recognized by U.S. News Best Lawyers in Employment Litigation for 2016
- Awarded the prestigious AV Preeminent® rating from Martindale-Hubbell in 2013 and 2014, a “significant rating accomplishment” that is “a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence”
- Membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, an invitation-only association reserved for litigators and trial lawyers who have obtained one or more judgments or settlements of $1 million or more
- Designated a 2014 and 2015 SuperLawyer in employment litigation defense, based on peer-review evaluations of his legal skills and effectiveness, as announced in Los Angeles Magazine
- A recipient of the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Avvo Clients’ Choice Awards — presented by one of the nation’s leading attorney review and referral services
- Selected and approved by major EPLI carriers for his “expertise in the defense of employment-related matters” and implementing “strategies for efficiently resolving claims.”
A sought after speaker, Jeffrey has presented to groups including the Screen Actors, Directors, and Writers Guilds of America, the Golden State Peace Officers Association, bar associations, chambers of commerce, and municipalities.
Jeffrey is active in professional organizations including:
- Beverly Hills Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section – Executive Committee Member and Vice-Chair for 2015-16
- Association of Southern California Defense Counsel – Member
- ProVisors, a California-based association of senior professionals – Executive Committee Member and Host – ProVisors West Hollywood
- Financial Services Industry Exchange (FSIX), an association of select professionals serving the financial services industry – Member
- California, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood Chambers of Commerce – Member
Jeffrey gives back to the community. Jeffrey actively supports , which delivers food, safe housing and education to homeless children and youth in Hollywood, and the , which provides scholarships and mentoring to gifted LGBT undergraduate and graduate students nationally. Jeffrey also served as vice board chair of , the nation’s first non-profit to provide affordable housing to GLBT seniors.
Jeffrey encourages you to support and the .
A Nebraska Cornhusker by birth, Jeffrey earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from the University of Kansas and his Juris Doctor from the University of Kansas School of Law. As a law student, he earned honors including the Am Jur award in administrative law and was selected to serve as student director of the Kansas Defender Project, a nationally-respected legal clinic that provides legal representation to federal and state prison inmates.
Jeffrey has been a member of the State of California Bar since 1987. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Central and Eastern Districts of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.